Three Go Binge Explained
Big data user? Then you might be interested in Three’s Go Binge programme. Go Binge basically allows you zero-rated data on six select music and video streaming services. Wait, what’s zero-rated data? Which services exactly? We’re going to answer all those questions and more with our in-depth look at Three’s Go Binge programme.
Table of Contents
What Does Zero-Rated Mean?
Alrighty, let’s start with what exactly zero-rated means. Mobile plans come with set limits for the amount of calling minutes, text messages, and data that you can use each month. It’s that data limit that concerns us. Every time you go online (either directly, or through an app like Netflix or Amazon that needs an online connection) data is subtracted from your monthly data limit. However, if something is zero-rated it means that any data used will NOT be subtracted from your limit.
Let’s say you’ve got a 3 GB monthly data limit, but your phone plan has a special offer for zero-rated data for Netflix. You can watch all the Netflix you want and you’ll still have 3 GB of mobile data to use for other stuff. But if you go online or use Amazon or check out the news, then data WILL be subtracted from that 3 GB limit. Make sense? It’s sort of like having unlimited data but only for certain apps or services.
Three Go Binge: The Basics
Three’s Go Binge programme gives you zero-rated data for six separate services, and we’ll get into the exact details below. Basically, if you sign up for a mobile plan that includes Go Binge (and not all plans do), you’ll get a monthly data limit PLUS unlimited data to use with any of the six supported services. Not a bad deal, right?
Which Services are Supported?
Currently, there are six services that are supported, though Three have not ruled out adding more in the future. The current selection is:
Maybe the most popular video streaming platform around, Netflix lets you watch all the TV series and films that your heart desires. However, you will need to have a Netflix subscription in order to use your zero-rated data with Three, and that’s going to cost you extra. If you’ve already got a Netflix password though, you’re set.
Big music fan? Apple Music has a catalogue of over forty million songs, and yes, you read that right. There’s going to be tracks for everyone here. However, once again, you’ll need to have an Apple Music account in order to use your zero-rated data to stream music through the app, so that’s going to cost a little extra too…
Maybe the app that’s most unfamiliar on this list, TV Player gives you access to… well, TV programmes, obviously. There is a free version of the app which will let you watch the normal TV channels (BBC, ITV, etc.), and a further paid version that will give you access to 80 more channels (MTV, Comedy Central, etc.). There are ads in the free version though, so the impatient might want to opt for signing up for the premium TV Player app…
Soundcloud is another music streaming app that allows you to stream songs, albums, and even podcasts to your device. The great thing about Soundcloud is that it’s free, as long as you’re willing to listen to ads every now and again. If you’d like to go ad-free then there’s a premium version available for around £10 a month.
If social media is more your thing then know that Snapchat is also included in Three’s Go Binge programme. Do be warned though that whilst Snapchat itself is included, following links to outside sites will be counted towards your data limit, so be careful what you click!
Finally, Deezer is another music streaming service and offers around 53 million songs to listen to. Like Soundcloud, Deezer is free to use as long as you’re willing to listen to ads sometimes. If you want to go ad-free then the premium version will cost you around £10 a month.
So if you’ve got a Three mobile phone plan that includes Go Binge then you can use all of the above services as much as you like without eating into your data limit. Cool, right?
Which Plans Include Go Binge?
Basically, Three includes Go Binge with any phone plan that includes more than 12 GB of data. That includes quite a few plans. In order of cost, from lowest to highest, plans that include Go Binge are:
- Unlimited minutes and texts and 12 GB of data on a 24-month contract for £13 a month
- Unlimited minutes and texts and 12 GB of data on a 12-month contract for £16 a month
- Unlimited minutes and texts and 30 GB of data on a 24-month contract for £18 a month
- Unlimited minutes and texts and 30 GB of data on a 12-month contract for £19 a month
- Unlimited minutes and texts and 12 GB of data on a 1-month contract for £19 a month
- Unlimited minutes, texts, and data on a 12-month contract for £22 a month
- Unlimited minutes and texts and 30 GB of data on a 1-month contract for £24 a month
- Unlimited minutes, texts, and data on a 1 month contract for £26 a month
What About Go Binge and PAYG?
Unfortunately, Go Binge is NOT available to pay as you go customers. However, those one-month contract plans with Three are very similar to PAYG plans (in that there’s no commitment and no credit check) and some of those do include Go Binge, so it could be worth signing up for a short-term contract…
Roaming and Three Go Binge
Eh, using Go Binge whilst out of the country is a bit of a tough one. Technically, yes, you can use Go Binge whilst you’re away. However, Three’s website warns that depending on which country you’re going to, you may face limitations on the amount of data you can use and on data speeds. To find out more you’ll have to go to Three’s website and put in the name of your destination into this form to get detailed info for that specific country.
Also, you may find that there are restrictions on what you can watch whilst abroad due to licensing laws. If you’re using Netflix in France, for example, you’ll only have access to what’s in the Netflix France catalogue, which will be different to content in the Netflix UK catalogue.
Are There Limitations?
Yes, there are a few limitations here. We’ve already discussed a couple of these (using Go Binge whilst roaming, and Go Binge only being available on phone plans with 12 GB or more of data). There are a few other things you should be aware of though:
- You must have some of your regular data limit left in order to use Go Binge. If you use up all your monthly data then you will lose access to Go Binge.
- Go Binge will NOT work if you’re connected to a VPN. If you use a VPN for privacy or in order to avoid location restrictions on services like Netflix then Go Binge simply won’t operate and data will be subtracted from your monthly limit as normal.
- Ads are not covered by Go Binge. This means that if you’re using a service like Soundcloud then streaming music will be zero-rated, but every time an ad plays then data will be subtracted from your monthly limit.
Are There Any Comparable Services?
Yes. Three aren’t the only company to offer zero-rated data as part of their phone plans, you do have some other options:
- Voxi offers Endless Social Data, meaning you get zero-rated data on a range of social media apps. The current selection includes Facebook, WhatsApp, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, Messenger, Pinterest, and Viber. This is available on all phone plans.
- Virgin Mobile also offer zero-rated data for some social media services. Currently, that list is only WhatsApp, Messenger, and Twitter. This is available on all phone plans.
- EE offers zero-rated data passes on some of their monthly plans, including access to music streaming (including Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal) and video streaming (including Netflix, Youtube and more). This is available only on plans from £25 a month and up.
In comparison, Three’s Go Binge service offers more options than either Voxi or Virgin Mobile, and it less expensive than EE’s zero-rated phone plans.
However, there is another option. If you’re a big data user anyway, then you could profit from simply switching to an unlimited data plan with any operator that offers one, rather than just searching out a plan that includes zero-rated data for certain services. You could find that this ends up being cheaper in the long run, though that really depends on what kind of services you tend to use your data for.
Our Favourite Deal
Three Go Binge
Three SIM Only plan
- 4GB data
- Unlimited minutes
- Unlimited texts
24-month Advanced plan for £10 per month
Includes: 5G Ready at no extra cost, Personal Hotspot and Go Roam Around the World