Three Data Reward SIM: How To Get 200mb of Data Free Every Month
We all like to get something for nothing, and if you’re a light data user or want a backup SIM then Three’s free data offer might be of interest to you. Yes, Three really does offer to give you free mobile data. How does it work? Is it worth it? Are there terms and conditions? We’ve got everything you need to know about Three’s Data Reward SIM Card right here.
Table of Contents
What’s the Deal?
The deal is actually pretty simple and a little complicated all at the same time. Essentially if you order a Three Data Reward SIM card you’ll get 200 MB of free data each and every month. Period. That’s it. But… There’s a lot more you should know about this.
The Initial Data Reward SIM Card
Firstly, you should know that you’ll have to pay £5 up front for the SIM card. That SIM will come pre-loaded with 1 GB of data (note that there’s no minutes or texts, we’ll get to that in a minute) which is valid for 30 days. At the end of that 30 day period, any remaining data from that first 1 GB will disappear and you’ll get your first allotment of 200 MB of free data. That 200 MB will appear for free every 30 days.
This is a PAYG SIM card, not a contract. That means that everything you use outside of the free data you’re given you’ll need to pay for.
The SIM does NOT include any minutes or texts (making it a good choice if you’re looking for a SIM for a tablet, for example), but you’re free to use the SIM for calling and texting as well. You’ll need to top the account up with credit just like any other PAYG SIM card. And then you’ll need to think about out of bundle charges…
Out of Bundle Charges
Okay, so you get some free data. But what about if you want to call or text, or if you want to use more data than you get for free? In any of those cases you’ll need to pay out of bundle charges, money that will be deducted from the credit that you load onto the SIM card. Essentially, these charges follow Three’s 321 plan, where you pay 3p per calling minute, 2p per text, and 1p per MB of data. But here’s a closer look at how those charges break down:
- 3p per calling minute at any time to any network
- 3p per calling minute to voicemail
- For special rate numbers, there’s a connection fee of 45p plus whatever rate the number charges you per minute
- 2p per SMS
- 40p per MMS or video message
- 1p per MB of mobile data above your free limit
Don’t Forget Data Bundles
Out of bundle charges with Three are fairly standard, and are cheaper than with many other big name networks. However, if you like your data there is a way that you can save even more. As a PAYG customer you can buy a Data Bundle with your credit. This basically gives you a set amount of data for a set price that’s valid for 30 days, and is cheaper than simply buying extra data by the MB. There are three data bundles available:
- £15 gets you 2 GB of data valid for 30 days (which works out to be 0.75p per MB)
- £20 gets you 5 GB of data valid for 30 days (which works out to be 0.40p per MB)
- £25 gets you 10 GB of data valid for 30 days (which works out to be 0.25p per MB)
Do be aware that after the 30 day period any unused data in the package will disappear!
Roaming: Three’s Feel at Home
The Data Reward SIM is also included in Three’s Feel at Home plan. But there’s a catch here. Feel at Home technically lets you use your SIM card exactly as you would at home with no extra roaming charges in 71 countries around the world. BUT for the Data Reward card, this ONLY applies to your free data limit and to data bundles.
Out of bundle charges (those 3p, 2p, 1p costs we mentioned above) do NOT apply when you’re out of the UK. The amount you’ll be charged per calling minute, per text message, and per extra MB of data will depend on which country you’re travelling in. You can find out more by checking the country you’re visiting on Three’s Mobile Roaming page.
Three Data Reward Terms and Conditions
So is there a catch to this free mobile data? Well, not really. You honestly do get 200 MB of free data each and every month. Any unused data from that 200 MB will disappear after 30 days, but you’ll get a new 200 MB limit. The only thing you have to do is be sure to keep your SIM card active. With Three this is simple, you need to use your phone to call, message or access the internet at least once every six months in order to keep the SIM active.
There’s really no other catch involved here. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that this is going to be the best SIM option for you.
One important thing that you should know is that the Data Reward card does allow mobile tethering (unlike their standard PAYG SIM which does not). Mobile tethering means using the data from your phone as a hotspot to get another device online (such as a tablet). Tethering does eat through data quite quickly though, so if you want to go this route do be careful.
A Better Alternative?
If you’re only interested in that free data, and you only intend to use the SIM card for data (not for calling or texting), then we have to say that there really isn’t a better alternative. The only other operator that offers free data in the same way is FreedomPop. But FreedomPop is an internet only operator, meaning you’ll need to use internet calling and texting if that’s your thing, and ALL FreedomPop credit expires after only 30 days (so if you load extra credit onto your account it’ll be gone in 30 days, as opposed to with Three who let you keep your credit as long as you like).
If you’re interested in calling and texting as well as data, then there probably is a better option available to you. That option also comes from Three and is their standard PAYG card. The only real difference between the Data Reward SIM and the Standard SIM is that on the Data Reward card you can only by bundles for data. On the Standard SIM you can buy bundles of calling minutes and texts as well as data bundles. This means that for callers and texters the standard SIM usually works out cheaper. Three’s standard SIM doesn’t offer 200 MB of free data a month. However, it does give you 10 MB of free data every time you top up.
The Pros and Cons
Like every deal, there are pros and cons to the Three Data Reward SIM card, and you’ll need to weigh these up before coming to a decision.
- Free data (it’s obvious, but it’s true)
- Cheap data bundles if you need extra data above the free limit
- No contracts, no credit checks, you can leave the programme any time you like and switch to a contract or to another operator
- Cheap data use whilst abroad
- Credit is valid for as long as your SIM card is active, unlike with many other operators
- Minutes and texts are fairly cheap as long as you don’t use too much
- Can’t buy bundles of minutes and texts, so for big callers and texters those out of bundle prices are going to add up fast
- Only data is valid for the Feel at Home programme if you want to call or text you’ll be spending extra on roaming charges (unlike with a SIM card that includes bundles of minutes and texts)
- Big callers and texters will probably find a better and cheaper plan
Who Should Get the Data Reward SIM?
Sure, there are disadvantages to the Data Reward SIM, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad choice. In fact, for some customers, the Data Reward SIM is an awesome choice. If you fall into any of the following categories then the Data Reward SIM could be for you:
- People looking for a data only SIM card to use in a tablet, for use in their car, or another device
- People who don’t call or text often, or who don’t call or text at all, or who use internet calling/messaging (like WhatsApp) rather than calling or texting using traditional means
- If you’re looking for cheap data to take abroad on holiday or for business
- Those who want to use mobile tethering on a PAYG system
- A backup SIM for a dual SIM phone that only needs data
Bottom Line Time
Three’s Data Reward SIM card is an honest deal. You’ll get 200 MB of free mobile data every month. However, there are certainly downsides to opting for this plan. You’ll need to weigh up your options and priorities before making a decision. But if you’re looking for data only and you want a PAYG plan, then you won’t find better than the Data Reward SIM.
Get 200mb of data free every month
Order Three Data Reward SIM
How does it work? Pay £5 up front for the SIM card. That SIM will come pre-loaded with 1 GB of data (note that there are no minutes or texts) which is valid for 30 days. At the end of that 30 day period, any remaining data from that first 1 GB will disappear and you’ll get your first allotment of 200 MB of free data. That 200 MB will appear for free every 30 days.